By Michael Levenson
Read Online or Download The Cambridge Companion to Modernism (Cambridge Companions to Literature) PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
Jones revises our knowing of recent China by means of tracing the ways in which evolutionary works constructed right into a type of vernacular wisdom in sleek chinese language literature. From children’s primers to print tradition, from fairy stories to filmmaking, his research bargains an cutting edge and interdisciplinary perspective of imaginative and prescient on China’s cultural evolution.
During this leading edge research, Benjamin Kahan strains the elusive historical past of contemporary celibacy. Arguing that celibacy is a different sexuality with its personal practices and pleasures, Kahan exhibits it to be even more than the renunciation of intercourse or a canopy for homosexuality. Celibacies specializes in a various crew of authors, social activists, and artists, spanning from the suffragettes to Henry James, and from the Harlem Renaissance's Father Divine to Andy Warhol.
Bringing jointly top critics and literary students, a brand new Vocabulary for international Modernism argues for brand spanking new methods of figuring out the character and improvement of twentieth-century literature and tradition. students have principally understood modernism as an American and eu phenomenon. these parameters have multiplied in fresh many years, however the incorporation of a number of origins and impacts has frequently been tied to older conceptual frameworks that make it tough to think about modernism globally.
Whereas Baudelaire's 'Le Peintre de l. a. vie moderne' is frequently mentioned because the first expression of our thought of modernism, his number of Constantin men as that painter has prompted consternation from the instant of the essay's ebook in 1863. Worse nonetheless, in his 'Salon de 1859', Baudelaire had additionally selected to sentence images in phrases that echo to today.
- Radio Modernism: Literature, Ethics, and the BBC, 1922–1938
- Modernism, Inc.: Body, Memory, Capital (Cultural Front)
- Gertrude Stein and Richard Wright: The Poetics and Politics of Modernism
- Nijhoff, Van Ostaijen, "De Stijl": Modernism in the Netherlands and Belgium in the First Quarter of the 20th Century. Six Essays
- A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
- Weimar on the Pacific: German Exile Culture in Los Angeles and the Crisis of Modernism (Weimar and Now: German Cultural Criticism)
Extra resources for The Cambridge Companion to Modernism (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
The Cambridge Companion to Modernism (Cambridge Companions to Literature) by Michael Levenson